Plastic Surgery Blog
San francisco - East bay
How Do Chemical Peels Improve Skin?
There are plenty of different non-surgical cosmetic treatments that claim to be able to improve the appearance of the skin and reduce the tell-tale signs of aging. However, there is one that is particularly popular – a chemical peel. There are lots of different types of chemical peels to choose from, but all can reveal fresher, smoother, and younger-looking skin. Here’s what you need to know about chemical peels and how they can leave you brimming with skin confidence.
What are chemical peels?
A chemical peel is a form of specialist exfoliation that uses specific chemicals to remove layers of skin, revealing the younger, smoother, and fresher skin beneath. There are different depths of peel to choose from, from the lightest which removes only the top layer of skin, to deeper peels that penetrate further. The deeper the peel, the more visible the results of your treatment will be. However, while light peels cause no discomfort, deeper peels can require patients to have a mild anesthetic beforehand. You’ll also need to be prepared to take special care of your skin in the days following your peel, since it will need time to heal. Your cosmetic specialist will be able to advise you of the best way to take care of your skin during this time, and it’s essential that you follow this guidance precisely.
How do you know which chemical peel is right for you?
Since there are many different types of chemical peel, it’s important to choose the right variety for your skin type and the issues that you hope to target. For this reason, we recommend that you consult with your cosmetic specialist to obtain their advice.
What are the benefits of chemical peels?
There are several ways in which chemical peels improve skin. Firstly, there are the visible effects:
- Improved color, clarity, tone, and texture of your skin
- Reduced discoloration caused by sun damage
- Increased hydration
- Relief from the symptoms of rosacea
- Minimized pores, which creates a smoother base for make-up application after healing
- Fine lines and wrinkles are diminished
- Chemical peels can help to calm and reduce acne
- Any scarring, hyperpigmentation, or other skin imperfections will be reduced too
- A deep chemical peel can remove actinic keratoses – rough skin patches caused by sun exposure which can be pre-cancerous
Another key benefit of chemical peels is that by removing the outermost layer of skin, it enables better absorption of any skincare products that you usually use – from hydrating mists and anti-aging creams to vitamin c serums and SPF. As these can penetrate more deeply, they can also be more effective and yield more impressive results.
Am I a good candidate for a chemical peel?
You could be a good candidate for a chemical peel if you generally have healthy skin, only mild to moderate signs of aging or scarring, and a lighter complexion. However, if you have severely sagging skin or deep lines and wrinkles, a facelift may be a better option. You should also avoid a chemical peel if you:
- Suffer from recurrent cold sores
- Have psoriasis or atopic dermatitis
- Have darker skin tones (there’s a risk of hyperpigmentation)
- Take oral medication for acne
- Have a compromised immune system
- Are pregnant or breastfeeding
- Are undergoing medical treatment
If you aren’t sure if you are a good candidate for a chemical peel, we strongly recommend that you speak to our knowledgeable cosmetics team to obtain advice and support. Located in Oakland, CA, call us today at 510-451-6950 to schedule your consultation.